The essential elements of character building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these "six pillars of character."
I therefore agree to conduct myself in accordance with the following league principles:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform my child's coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn and abide by the rules of the game and the policies of the league, including those set out in the Little League® Incorporated Rules and Regulations of Little League Baseball and the Little League® Incorporated Operating Manual.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice and other league event.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent, such as booing, taunting, refusing to shake hands, physical violence, or using profane language or gestures.
- I will discourage any behavior or practice that would endanger the health and well-being of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one's best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and giving his/her best effort, and make my child feel like a “winner” every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or any other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize the development of athletic skills and discipline and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in lower age groups.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the league officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront league officials or coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all league sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
- I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to, the following:
- a. Verbal warning by league official, head coach, and/or league officers
- b. Written warning
- c. Parental game suspension
- d. Game forfeit through the official or coach
- e. Parental season suspension
Bellaire Little League maintains a "No Tolerance" policy and strictly enforces the above penalties for any verbal or physical abuse of players, umpires, managers, coaches, board members or any other League volunteer occurring in connection with League sponsored games or at League facilities. Any violation of this policy will result in immediate suspension from League facilities. The League reviews all such incidents, and may impose additional disciplinary action for such acts. The use of tobacco in any form is prohibited on the playing field, benches and dugouts. Smoking is not permitted on League facilities. The use of alcoholic beverages or profanity is prohibited anywhere at the League’s baseball complexes. Any violation of this policy will result in immediate suspension from League facilities.
The League reviews all such incidents, and may impose additional disciplinary action for such acts. My registration of my child(ren) and my allowing him or her (or them) to participate in BLL activities constitutes my full agreement to the terms of this "Parent Code of Conduct."